Not a particularly happy Valentines…

February 15, 2009 at 8:06 pm 5 comments

One day I will post on here without doom and gloom.

But it’s not today.

My kitty Scooter passed away in his sleep yesterday. He was just about to turn 15. He hadn’t been looking well for a while but went downhill very quickly and died during the night, peacefully.

Scooter was my baby. He was around before my husband. He was with me when I was a single 20-something in Melbourne. He was there when I bought my boys home from hospital (and spent a fair bit of time asleep on my huge pregnant belly beforehand).


And the last picture I have of him, in a favourite spot in the garden, catching the morning rays…


I cannot begin to tell you how it breaks my heart.

In an effort to cheer me up, we went left the kids at my parents and took some hay to Monkey George and Pedro, who are staying put at their current home until the fencing is replaced at my parents. We didn’t see them, but I was nuzzled and followed by an extremely charming one week old cria. I defy anyone not to smile and be charmed by such a little gorgeous ball of fluff, no matter what else is going on.

When came back to my parents, Mr G was taking the kids out to the car when the cry of “Snake! Snake!” went up. There was a good sized tiger snake sitting close to the path. My parents do not take kindly to snakes, as they’ve lost 2 dogs to snake bites, so he was quickly dispatched.

Which brings me to the dog. This is Toby.


He visits with us when my parents travel, so he’s pretty at home at our place. He stayed with us for a week after the farm burned – the poor pup spent the first 3 or 4 days clinging to the back door step near us and not wanting to go anywhere alone. The water bombing helicopters, fire sirens and flames had spooked him. We took him home, but he wasn’t really happy there. Everything smells of smoke and burnt wood and grass. He spent a lot of time last week hiding in his kennel. Mr A and I went over one day and gave him some love so he’d know it was ok.

On Thursday, he disappeared. Mum was distraught. They’d been up and down their road, talked to the neighbours, looked everywhere and couldn’t find him. She rang Friday morning in tears, so I rang the pounds in two shires to begin to track him down.

I wrote on my Facebook page: Karen is about to go looking for a missing dog… and headed out the door. After an hour of driving around looking, Mr A and I dropped back home to check the answering machine. We had a couple of minutes until we had to leave for the pound, so I got on Facebook again. To cut a long story short, my friend had heard a found message on a radio station for a dog, left me a message on Facebook, Mum rang the radio, tracked him and down, and Mum and a very relieved dog were reunited.

Neither Mum nor I listen to that radio station, so it was just luck that things lined up the way they did.

So I would like a quiet weekend. One where things go quietly. Nothing catches fire, nothing gets hurt, nothing dies, nothing gets lost. Please.

Catch ya…

PS I do have a little Valentines giftie for you – in the next post.


Entry filed under: Life.

Numb… Some late love…

5 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Amber  |  February 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm

    And it was pure coincidence that I was listening to that radio station too as we had had ABC on every radio possible with the fires. So glad you found him.

  • 2. Priscilla  |  February 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm

    I’m sorry about Scooter – he sounds like he was a very much loved member of your family.
    I’m glad about Toby though, how amazing was that!

  • 3. amandac  |  February 28, 2009 at 9:45 am

    So sorry to hear about Scooter Karen – I know exactly how you feel, my Chelsea is 16 and I know that it could be anytime really. Breaks my heart. Lucky finding Toby though, wow what a wonderful coincidence!

  • […] to purr. Of all the things she could have done, that was the one thing that would make her mine – Scooter did the same thing, all those years ago. Soph is currently sprawled on my husbands lap, purring […]

  • 5. Regrowth… « because I’m the Mum, that’s why  |  July 25, 2009 at 11:07 am

    […] was very traumatized after the fires. The vet said he was the worst she’d seen, which was why he ran away. It’s a big step for him that he could come on the motorbike with me, and run through the […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

February 2009
« Jan   Mar »


%d bloggers like this: